Monday, February 14, 2011

Praying the Psalms: an excerpt from Chapter 1

Sometimes I pray a Psalm exactly as it is written, whispering the words of Scripture directly to God. Other times I mediate on the words of a Psalm and respond to God with a prayer prompted by His word. Let me illustrate: when I read the twenty-third Psalm, I pray “Even when I go through the darkest valley I fear no danger; for You are with me” (verse 4) just as it is written, but when I read “He renews my life; He leads me along the right paths for His name's sake” (verse 3) I might respond, “Lord, You have renewed my life! You have guided me on the right paths! Thank You!”

As you read the twenty-third Psalm today, meditate on the Lord's guidance and presence in your life. If the Psalm reminds you of specific blessings, stop and praise God for them.

The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life; He leads me along the right paths for His name's sake.
Even when I go through the darkest valley
I fear no danger, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff—they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord as long as I live. (Psalm 23:1-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment