Saturday, April 2, 2011

praying for faith...and with faith

This is a prayer from my journal three years ago. My father's health was failing, and I was stressed. Praying through Scriptures -- using the words of Scripture and responding to them -- brought me so much comfort and strength. Praying this way really helped me to put my faith into words, and to trust in the reality of "Christ Over Me."


Praying with Psalm 22-24

Lift up your heads, you gates!
Rise up, ancient doors!
Then the King of glory will come in.


O King of glory,
Creator of heaven and earth,
Lord of love and mercy,
I invited You into my life
on a spring afternoon
when I was four years old.
Thank You for never leaving
even when I forget You're here
and try to carry all
my burdens alone.

Do not be far from me,
because distress is near
and there is no one to help.


Sometimes "distress" seems closer to me
than You, Lord.
But You live within me
and no one -- and nothing --
can be closer than that.

The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.


I'd like more money, Lord.
I'd like some assistance with the responsibilities
of being the only child of an ailing father.
I'd like to fly away to Ireland today.
But I have You, Lord,
and I have a loving husband
and children
and a house
and two cats
and thirty-seven varieties of tea in the pantry --
so, really,
I lack nothing.

He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths
for His name's sake.


Last week, Lord,
on a stressful day,
You provided refreshing green scenery
and precious amusing memories
to keep me company.

Even when I go
through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff --
they comfort me.


You are with me.
You comfort me.
Truly, Lord,
I lack nothing.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love
will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.


Sometimes I feel that stress and exhaustion
and headaches pursue me --
but You promise that Your goodness and faithful love
will be with me every day.

(Psa. 24:7, 22:11, 23:1-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment