Saturday, March 12, 2011

praying for light

This week the ladies at Lewis and Clark Bible church are studying chapter two and praying for light.

Because of our God's merciful compassion,
the Dawn from on high will visit us
to shine on those who live in darkness and the shadow of death,
to guide our feet into the way of peace.

(Luke 1:78-79, emphasis added)

It is a peaceful day when I see the Lord as my Dawn, my Sunrise. Any light that brightens my day comes from Him.

O blessed Lord, beyond the moment's sorrow
I see above, beneath, before, behind--
Eternal Love. Give me today, tomorrow,
A quiet mind.
--Amy Carmichael, Mountain Breezes, p. 139)

When I pray this poem, I like to substitute whatever I'm feeling for the word sorrow: anxiousness, exhaustion, blahness, joy.... Beyond my changing emotions, I want to see Him, Eternal Love and Light.

The Savior is a great source of comfort to us...Many live in the darkness of divorce or in the shadow of death. Some watch a loved one slowly disintegrate before their eyes. Others, in seemingly “perfect” circumstances, live in the deepest darkness of all -- depression that nothing seems to penetrate! Listen to the Good News! There’s light at the end of the tunnel -- look up and see Jesus standing there! Hear what He says: “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12) --from a blogpost by Jill Briscoe.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Ruth! Praying today for His light to flood our hearts with His power and the understanding of His word. We are tired and weak, nearly overwhelmed with the cares of the day. May we find joy in the Light for the step we are on. Anticipating the blessings of the moments that lie ahead in the day we are given. He is the faithful One. }|{

    ReplyDelete